Monday, January 17, 2011

Skewed and Distressed - That's Me!!


I literally groaned out loud when I saw this sketch.  Can you guess why?? Yup, that darn skewed panel LOL!  As I told Tosh on the Verve Forum, I took a deep breath and said....."embrace the skewed panel, Marisa, make it your friend"....exhale....deep breath...."embrace the skewed panel, Marisa, make it your friend"....exhale.....it's not working just yet....!!! Okay, found a solution, I just have to tip my head to the side and it looks straight. May have to make it straight and then tip my card for the picture LOL!
Good news in all this is I am attempting - and I say attempting - to "embrace the skewed panels and make them my friend" this year.  They mess with my anal side something fierce, so my challenge to myself and my card making abilities is to work with them until I'm much more comfortable with them.  I'm sure I will regret saying this, but it's a good way for me to stretch and challenge myself and my card making abilities. 

Since I was on a roll in the area of challenging myself on a card, I decided to add my challenge from Andrea, to add distressing on some of my cards, into the mix as well.    Heck, twice the challenge, twice the.....ahem....."fun", and twice the satisfaction once it's done LOL! 

The DP is from my Costco pack (yeah!! a little more gone) and I decided to use the Martha Stewart daisy border punch for the two horizontal panels, turning them in to face each other so they take on the look of it being some lace (well as close as you can get with paper anyway).  Quite happy with the effect.  I used the script embossing folder for the white panel to add more texture.  Helped pacify my severely distressed creative gene by using my favorite Stampin' Up butterfly die, and then added this darling Verve birthday sentiment.  I distressed the edges quite a bit and can honestly say this card looks better with the distressed edges than without.  Aaaaaack, what's happening to me??!!  This is why I love this addiction, hobby, so much.  You can stretch yourself in new ways all the time - though I am done with the stretching part right about now LOL!

Okay, I've rambled on long enough!  Thanks for listening, and if you join me by stretching yourself to do something you normally don't do on cards, we can celebrate and relax together :)   Have a great day!




What's In It?
Stamps: (Verve) Big Wish
Paper: Early Espresso, Mellow Moss, Costco DP
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Script Embossing Folder, Martha Stewart Daisy Border Punch, SU Sizzex Butterfly Die, Brown Half Pearls, SU Distressing Tool

19 comments:

Emily Keaton said...

This is lovely, Marisa, and you rocked that skewed panel (even though you didn't want to LOL), but where, oh WHERE, is the crimped element??? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Quilting with Jannette said...

I'm loving that card! Congrats on the skewed bit - I think it adds to the appeal (it does for me!)...
I was trying to figure out the lacy "ribbon" element - what a GREAT idea - and perfectly executed! I'm going to have to buy a new punch....

Maureen said...

this just oozes texture goodness :) now we're gonna add some stitching!! LOL Love that border punch...it's perfect for those two strips in the sketch :) It's warm here so I don't think I'll need my toque for recess duty!! Have a fabulous day!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Oh, I am so glad you finally took Andrea up on her challenge! I learned about that one before Christmas!

I like your distressed edges; so very not 'you' but so very fun to see you do!

And I'm with you on skewed panels....I see them and turn the other way.


I like your new blog look on the header area, and the tabs on the top. I recently thought about 'tabbing' mine too, to streamline my look further.

Hey, you're really quick with the comments -- I just uploaded that Unity Valentine, and there you were with a comment! You're like QuickDraw McGraw (remember that cartoon?).

Hugz,
Colleen

Vickie Z said...

Definitely accomplished the "skew" and distressing is great!! Love the butterflies!!

Christina said...

You had me giggling over that skewed panel, Marisa! I really love this one, and I think the distressing adds a perfect touch. I see that you couldn't bring yourself to skew the sentiment, though. *wink* Seriously, you did a fantastic job with both challenges!

Betty Wright said...

Marisa, I literally lol at your commentary. Yes, skewing is hard to do, but you pulled it off beautifully. Awesome card! I miss costcos!

Wanda Cullen said...

Love the way you used 2 rows of the floral border...cool effect! Your recent crimping rubbed off on me as I dusted mine off and used it on a couple of cards! I agree...those tilted panels really disrupt us anal people! :-)

Kristina said...

I literally laughed out loud when I read the title of your blog post today. Oh, Marisa, don't fear those tilted panels! This looks amazing!!! I love the big, green butterflies, and the tons of texture all over this card. It is weird that I want to run my finger over that flowery border?

Benzi said...

Take deep breaths, Marisa, deep breaths! LOL Hey, you're doing great with the skewed panels and the distressing. May be out of your comfort zone but you've accomplished making a beautiful card...so there. Be happy!!! LOl

Silke Ledlow said...

Marisa, your butterfly card is beautiful! Love it!!! Hgus ~S~

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Marisa! I LOL'd about tipping your head.. You rocked the skewed panel!

Stacy Morgan said...

LOL You crack me up. For someone who doesn't like the skewed panels you do so well with them. This is so pretty and your butterflies are wonderful.

Bonnie said...

I hope you have destressed by now. I love the skewed panel and distressing. I think you have mastered it already. Now to get comfortable with it!

Nance Leedy said...

I totally agree with you on the skewed panel--aaaahhhh--run Marisa, run! But you showed it who is boss here. Fab colors too!

ChristineCreations said...

I think you did skewed beautifully :) Make it your friend Marisa!

LOVE that awesome daisy border too!

TannyP said...

I honestly can't believe you have any issues with the skewed panels - this turned out perfectly! Love those butterflies!

Andrea Ewen said...

Well, I've just read all the comments on this post and I have to concur that you can really fake skewedness well. All those times you complain, run in the other direction and just flat out stick you nose up at skewed panels and yet you knock out a skewed masterpiece...and this isn't the only one. I secretly believe that you LIKE them. At least that's what your work screams to me :)
And the distressing? The perfect non-Marisa accent that appears to be so Marisa-ish. I honestly don't think that you would have trouble with any challenge I threw out at you. Oh, you may complain, but I know I'm going to see a work of art. Ok, off to catch my breath from this long-winded comment!

Shelley said...

I know you've said it before...but I think skewed suits you! Hee hee! Honestly, I think you are way to hard on yourself because I think it's beautiful! To me that wonderful Espresso Daisy Border punch really anchors it well.