Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hearts for Verve



I am a bit behind on my Verve Sketch With A Twist card this week because this past weekend DH and I plus a few friends cooked for  80 people attending the Alpha Retreat at our church.  I should actually, say, DH did the cooking and the rest of us were sues chefs and clean up crew!  Using the Hobart (professional dishwasher) brought back many memories of washing dishes at summer camps as well as water fights in the kitchen (even if it meant your cabin had to do another day's worth of dishes due to the water fight).  We were blessed to witness 12 people giving their life to Christ and one of the attendees who was having a hard time making ends meet and feeding her family was able to go home with three boxes of left over food :D   However, my age is certainly catching up to me as I was exhausted for the following two days and am just now  getting back to my normal self.  Sure wish I could somehow capture my son's energy level and put it in my body!  Oh the things I could get done LOL!

This week's twist was to use cracked glass on your card.  I haven't done this technique in years so it was fun to revisit it.  For some reason I seem to be on a Valentine's kick as this cute little heart stamp I got in the Michael's $1.50 bin was my stamp of choice.  I embossed it with gold and then did the cracked glass technique on it.  It was a very plain card and no embossing folder I tried seemed to work on the white panel - grrrr!  In an effort to jazz things up a bit, I used my Scalloped Oval Nesties, my corner rounder to make scallops on the right side of the white panel and added corner tabs (cut in half) on the left side to hem in the focal image.  A bit of ribbon on the horizontal panel and I was done.  Still feeling the main white panel is quite bare but I just can't figure out what else to do with it -- any suggestions?

That's it for today.  With Remembrance Day falling on a Wednesday, our school district has added a vacation day on Thursday (our school district has a huge deficit so they have cut over two weeks of school days out of this year to save money (they are adding 10 minutes a day to each school day to make up for it) and a Pro D day on Friday so the kids are home for five days this week.  That means my stamping time will be limited, but I'm working on my Mojo Monday card as well as Mercy's Tuesday Sketch card and hope to be able to post them in the next few days. 

Thanks for stopping by and please take a few minutes tomorrow to remember and reflect on the great sacrifices made by those who have served our country/ies and fought for our freedom.  Blessings!





What's In It?
Stamps:  Michael's $1.50 Stamp
Paper:  Real Red, Brushed Gold
Ink:  VersaMark, Gold
Accessories:  Ultra Fine Embossing Powder, UTEE, Scalloped Oval Nesties, Corner Rounder, Corner Tab Punch, Ribbon, Dimensionals.

3 comments:

Denise Marzec said...

This looks AWESOME with the cracked glass!!

Dawn B. said...

A few weeks ago I got to witness a woman accept Jesus as her savior and I will never forget it.. It was amazing. This is a wonderful think you did..
SUper card. I really love cracked glass. The red and white are great together...

Maureen said...

such a sweet card!! I checked out that 1.50 bin and got 2 beautiful stamps, "noel" and "peace" in a lovely script. I couldn't believe the price!! I just hate it when they put the bin outside and it's cold!! LOL I wish our district would add minutes onto days for days off...I would totally be into that. Apparently our CUPE staff wouldn't like it (i.e. bus drivers) as they would miss a day's pay. So I wonder why other district's can do it? It's like we live in a different country!! I've posted a great Remembrance Day video link...I think you will like it and appreciate the Canadian-ness of it :)