Friday, January 15, 2010

Chipboard, Oh No!



As usual, I just LOVE Mercy's sketch this week.  Perfect timing too as I need to create a card using chipboard for one of the Verve Release Challenges.  When I read the chipboard challenge, I came to a grinding halt.  I must admit I have never used chipboard in my life and thus don't own any.  So, necessity, the mother of invention, came to the rescue once again LOL!  I emptied a cereal box into a storage container, cut my box up into manageable pieces (we buy the jumbo cereal boxes at Costco LOL!) and brought it into my stamp area.

Loving hearts the way I do, I pulled out my heart Nesties once again and punched a heart out of the cereal box.  I then covered it with VersaMark and added sparkly, silver embossing powder over top, heat set it and I had my decorated "chipboard" heart.  Since the heart was silver, I went with a monochromatic pink card.  I just love monochromatic cards.  So soft on the eyes and it is a no brainer when it comes to picking the colours LOL!

I pulled out my heart embossing folder for the main, white panel and ran it through the Cuttlebug twice so I could get the embossing all the way across the panel.  Then I matted the silver heart with a scalloped Pretty in Pink heart and pulled out Regal Rose and Rose Red for my other two panels.  Popped the heart and the heart panel up on some dimensionals (I have a great dollar store in the area that sells two sheets of them for $1.25 and they stick but good!), added my pink ribbon and finished things off with some pink bling and a button on the bow.  I wasn't sold on the button on the bow, and even tried to remove it, but the glue dot wouldn't let it go LOL!

I put the card aside and when I picked it up today to take a picture of it something was still missing, so I decided to added a tag.  I have always loved (no pun intended!) this tag stamp.  I tried various tag colours and finally settled on Rose Red to balance off the Rose Red panel on the left side of the card.  I also became thankful for the glue dot I was cursing at yesterday because I was able to stick the ribbon that held the tag to the glue dot and didn't have to fiddle with how tie the tag on to the bow with the button.  Little joys in life :D

I must confess I actually had fun with my "imitation chipboard".  I just may have to check out the chipboard section in my local scrap booking store next time I'm in as covering it with DP would be a fun thing to try too.  Always something new to try in the wonderful world of stamping -- love it!!

With this card, I am now done with all the Verve challenges - yeah!!  They are always so much fun.  The only down side is catching up on all the things I have put on hold for a few days so I could get them all done LOL!  Hope you can join us at the release party on Friday.  Have a blessed day!!





What's In It?
Stamps: None
Paper:  Pretty in Pink, Rose Romance, Rose Red
Ink:VersaMark
Accessories:  Scalloped Heart and Heart Nesties, Heart Embossing Folder, Silver Embossing Powder, 5/8" Pink Satin Ribbon, Dimensinals

10 comments:

Stacy Morgan said...

Marissa this is awesome... I am right there with you on the chipboard. hee hee But you managed to create your own that looks awesome...

TrishG said...

This is lovely. The colors are super! Cute tag with ribbon.

Shirley said...

You are a VERVE CHAMP!! I really wanted to play....I wrote down all the challenges Sun evening, posted them on my workbench......and then this pesky little thing called pnuemonia got in my way!! **couph couph, hack hack.....going back to bed***

squirrellyshirley

Jodi Collins said...

This is SO pretty Marisa! LOVE the chipboard and texture on this!!!

Dawn B. said...

Marisa this is so pretty. Great recycle.. I love the silver.. What a pretty look it has.. Great job.

Monique said...

I love this it is beautiful..I have to get myself that embossing folder looks great :)

Kristina said...

Thank goodness for Costco boxes! That's where my make-shift "chipboard" came from too. :)

This turned out wonderfully! I love that big sparklie heart. Hope to see you at the party tonight!

Maureen said...

Beautiful!! You are really rocking these heart cards!! The button on the ribbon totally works and is my favourite part of the card!!! Love the little dew drops or pearls in the left corner...very sweet :) Hoping to catch some of the party tonight...we're going out for dinner soon :)

Kathy Jones said...

Marisa girl - you are BRILLIANT!!! I must confess, I've never used chipboard either!!! You totally ROCKED this challenge - I love your chipboard heart, awesome job of the challenge and yummy colours!!! :)

Darlene Gabriel said...

Oh yes, another heart card. I love your chipboard heart - great job. This card is so pretty - love the colours.