Saturday, January 16, 2010

Picture Inpiration


I got a chance to get this week's Verve's inspiration challenge done yesterday because this weekend I need to get my kids going on their Science Fair projects.  I really do wish our school would do Science Fair every other year like a lot of schools do, but our principal has opted to make this a yearly event so it's that time of year and we are at it again.  I must admit, it is not always my favorite time of year, but the kids really do get into it and it is wonderful seeing them learn about things, document their findings, set up their display boards and get their "shpeel" all ready so they can present their project to the judges.  Thankfully we have settled on their projects (that can take forever sometimes!!) so we can dive right in.

I chose this picture as my inspiration piece for this week's Verve Sketch.  I loved the row of pictures and all the white.  Such lovely, soft colours. Since I was going with the picture theme, I had to flip the sketch in order to accommodate three flowers across the card.  They are matted on to pink paper as there is some pink in the pictures, then layered on to Blush Blossom -- well not "the" Blush Blossom, but a colour that is very close to it which I found somewhere in my travels.  I kept a lot of white space and scored my white panel as per the cabinets below the pictures.  The card needed a bit of zip so I added a brad to the center of each flower and a brown button to the middle of the bow to balance off the brads in the flowers.

I'm really starting to get into this button thing.  I know.....I'm waaaaay behind the trend, but I have never been the trendy type so it takes me a while to get on the bandwagon.  Unfortunately, that sometimes means by the time I get into the trend, it may be on its way out LOL!  Hopefully this won't happen with buttons for a while :D 

That's it for this week.  Have a fabulous weekend, and I'll be back next week with Julee's Mojo Monday sketch.





What's In It?
Stamps: Short and Sweet
Paper: Pretty in Pink, Blush Blossom
Ink: Black
Accessories:  SU Lace Border Punch, Marvy Flower Punch, Scor-Pal, Brads, 5/8" White Satin Ribbon, Button, 1/4" Pink Satin Ribbon, Dimensionals

12 comments:

stampinganja said...

Beautiful card, Marisa!
Love the pink!
Our school has decided not to do the Science Fair anymore, since it was so obvious sometimes that parents got involved a little too much, you know, the competition was on in that way, now they do a history project, the most of the work is to be done at school and the display you make at home. Of course you can still help the kids but they really have to do the majority. I love helping them with the boards, that's why we need to have all this stuff, right?
Sorry, such a long comment, start talking kids and stamping and you might find out that I talk wayyyyyy to much, take care, Anja

Monique said...

Beautiful..so crisp...Love the scorng you did ...I know what you mean I have tons of buttons love the way they look on each project just have to use them :)

Stacy Morgan said...

This is so fresh and sweet. I LOVE the scoring in the bg.

Silke Ledlow said...

Simply beautiful - Marisa!!! The scoring rocks!!! Perfect take on the Sketch - GF!!! Hugs ~S~

TrishG said...

This is gorgeous! Love the colors - they really pop!

Denise Marzec said...

Beautiful, Marisa! Love the soft pink and white combo, and what a PERFECT bow!

Maureen said...

Loving the ribbon/button again!! LOL Those flowers are too cute :) Ah, Science Fairs...remember doing them with Jake and hating it too. Always a mad dash it seemed...and parents were doing most of the work. I like when schools do them in class :)

ChristineCreations said...

What a great card from your inspiration Marisa! I really love the color combination too - very fresh!

Dawn B. said...

This is beautiful Marisa. I love all the layers.. Your card turned out great. My son has a Cub Scout project and I am dreading it.. Have a great week.

Kristina said...

Wow, Marisa! This is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love how you turned that horizontal panel into the image panel. And the flowers are so perfect for the inspiration picture.

I'm thinking you need to post a picture tutorial on tying your perfect bows... Every singe one of them are gorgeous!!! And perfect!!! I'm slightly jealous. Bow-tying is still a work-in-progress for me. Especially tying a bow out of one piece of ribbon instead of two separate pieces.

Can't wait to see your Mojo card!

Kathy Jones said...

Oh so soft and pretty!!! Beautiful job of both challenges - love all the pink and white!!!!

Sue from Oregon said...

this is so darn pretty!