Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cupcakes and Scallops



Today my one creative gene and I am jumping for joy because we found out we were selected as one of the winners of this month's Mojo Monday sketch challenge!! You can see my card and post here.  With the win comes $24 in Verve Bucks to be able to gleefully spend at the Verve Store.  With the new release coming out this Friday, I can't wait to see what new goodies Julee has in store for us and what I can add to my Verve collection.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would win one of these sketch challenges.  There are SO many wonderfully talented stampers out there, I am just happy to be able to make a card with each week's sketch.  Thank you, Julee!!!  What a wonderful, early birthday pressie!  And to all of you who have so graciously left me congratulatory messages, thank you (((hugs))).  It's been a truly amazing day :D

Now back to reality LOL!  This is another Verve Release Challenge card.  For this challenge, we had to make a card that was anything but a regular A2 sized card (5 1/2" x 4 1/4").  I have always wanted to make a circular card and since I have some circle Nesties now, I decided to give it a go.  Apparently there is some technique involved in getting the scallops to line up right because when I stand my card up it is a bit off center.  Think I just have to pay attention to where the scallops line up when I'm running it through the Cuttlebug.  Will have to experiment with this so my next one isn't lopsided LOL!

When I thought of making a circular card, this cute little cupcake stamp I found in the Mike's $1.50 bin came to mind.  Yes, we have to pay $1.50 up here in Canada - ugh!  Rotten border LOL!  Sorry, I regressed :D  After trying a few colour combos I settled on this one.  I really did try to resist using my Swiss Dots embossing folder but it took me down yet again and shone in all its glory on the green panel to give it some dimension.  I added some red bling for the cherry on top, some smaller red bling to the flower centers on the cupcake wrapper, and finished things off with two little bows on the side of the card.

I think I'm in love with circular cards now LOL!  Such a wonderful change up from A2 sized cards.  That's why I just love these challenges, they make you get out of your comfort zone and try something new!  Now just one more Verve challenge to go!!  Have a blessed day and thanks again for all your encouraging words yesterday and today (((hugs))).




What's In It?
Stamps:  Michael's $1.50 stamp, (SU) Short and Sweet  
Paper: Garden Green, Real Red 
Ink: Garden Green, Real Red, Lovely Lilac 
Accessories:  Swiss Dots Embossing Folder, Scalloped Circle and Circle Nesties, 1/4" Lilac Grossgrain Ribbon, SU Word Window Punch, Red Bling

11 comments:

TannyP said...

CONGRATS! You totally deserved it - I LOVE that card =)

Another fabulous card today and it's sure to be a winner, too. Great work, Marisa....I love the green and the bling you've added to your card!

Maureen said...

yummy!! great job on the circles!! Aren't they fun? I'm very tired this morning :( it's gonna be a long day! SU 10 meeting tonight too and I won't want to go out once I'm home from work and the gym...TGIF tomorrow...are all the challenges done now? They were fun!

stampinganja said...

Have fun spending your free Verve money! You really deserve to win!
Congratulations!
Anja

Kathy said...

Great round card, love it! And big congrats on your MoJo win, well deserved!

dj said...

wowsers!! This is so pretty!! I just love a round card!!

I have had alot of time to stamp this week--you are right!! I am loving it and trying to take advantage of it!! Thanks for all your sweet comments!!

Vicki Burdick said...

Congratulations on your mojo win, your card is stunning, you so deserve the win!!!

You are a "pro"!!! :)

Vickie Z said...

Congrats on winning, it was a great card!! Wasn't that the one where you snuck your Xmas pressie early???

Silke Ledlow said...

Way to go - Marisa!!! Congrats on your Mojo win!!! The card was awesome!!!

Your little birthday card is so cute and yummy!!! Fun colors too!!!

Not sure when your birthday is, but of course I want to wish you a *HAPPY BIRHTDAY* too...and many, many more!!! Hope it will be a fun one!!!

Big birthday hugs ~S~

Stacy Morgan said...

This is so cute and makes for a sweet birthday card.
Whohooo.. Congrats on the mojo win... that is always FUN to see someone win!

Kristina said...

Cute, cute, cute! I thought about making a circular card, but quickly set that thought aside, lol. Circles and I... well, you know the story, lol.

I love the bold green against the white and the little jeweled cherry on top!

Kathy Jones said...

Another fabulous card Marisa!! Love the circle card and your cupcake is soooo cute!!! Soooooo....what did you spend your winnings on??