Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Puffy Flower Mojo Card



Since I am sketch design challenged, I decided to use this week's Mojo sketch for the Verve Release Colour Challenge where you have to use black, gray and turquoise on a card.  What a yummy colour combo :D  

I was originally heading in one direction and then decided to try one of Dawn McVey's puffy flowers for the circle on the sketch instead.  She has a great tutorial on her blog which you can view here.  I didn't have any books I was willing to sacrifice for the cause and didn't have time to hit the local thrift shop to get one, so I had to get creative LOL!   Since the colour combo called for turquoise I thought about the yummy, sparkly, turquoise tissue paper Julee packs all her Verve stamps in and figured that would be a good alternative to the book for the flower (plus the book paper wouldn't have matched the colour combo anyway).  Of course, tissue paper is a LOT flimsier than paperback book paper, but one has to work with what one has, right LOL!  I folded the tissue paper over several times so it was four layers thick and then used my SU scalloped circle punch to punch out some scalloped circles.  I then layered the tissue "flowers" on top of each other, poked a hole in the middle, fastened them together with a brad and added a black button to the middle of the flower.  From there, the scrunching began LOL!  Each tissue flower was scrunched up around the button to get the "puff factor" and then re-manipulated to look more like a flower.  My flower manipulation has much to be desired as it is a far cry from Dawn's gorgeous flowers, but the flower was turquoise and that's what counts :D

I used the Birds and Swirls embossing folder for the gray panel and after taking the picture realized the way the swirls lined up they could actually be a stem for the flower!  One of my favorite Plain Janes, Jeremiah 29: 11 was my choice for the focal sentiment.  This verse, along with verse twelve, always brings comfort to me as it reminds me of who is in control of all that happens in my life!  The black panel was punched with my SU scalloped border punch and finished things off with some white satin ribbon.

Thanks for taking a minute to pop in :D  It will be a busy week with all the Verve release challenges so lots of posts this week and little housework getting done LOL!  Have a blessed day!



Stamps: Verver (Jeremiah 29:11)
Paper:  Grey, Black, Turquoise
Ink:  Black
Accessories:  Turquoise Tissue Paper, SU Scalloped Circle Punch, Corner Rounder, Birds and Swirls Embossing Folder, US Scalloped Edge Punch, 5/8" White Satin Ribbon, Brad, Black Button, 1/4" white stain ribbon, Dimensionals

12 comments:

TrishG said...

BEAUTIFUL! Love the colors. Awesome job with the sketch.

Maureen said...

Wow!Fabulous flower!! It really pops!! Love the sentiment too :) AND I received your lovely card today...thanks so much, Marisa :) It's just so wonderful knowing how many people care :) I'm still receiving the odd card here and there, even from old friends...it really is comforing :) Your words were so lovely and it makes me feel i'm not alone...it really helps hearing from others, like yourself, who've lost a parent and know the weird things you think about....my thing right now is feeling guilty for enjoying things...because mom can't anymore...totally unrealistic and silly...but that's where I'm at right now ~ I'm hoping it's just part of the grieving :) Anyways, school and the Verve challenges are keeping me busy...one more to go!!

Shawne said...

What a gorgeous flower, it looks like it's blooming right off the embossed bg, fabulous!!!

Betty Wright said...

Marisa, this is wonderful! Beautiful design and detailing! LOVE your puffy flower and with the sparkly packing tissue.....sensational! Wonderful card!

Stacy Morgan said...

Oh I like these colors.. .The flower is very creative and looks GREAT!

Kathy Jones said...

Absolutely beautiful Marisa!!! Awesome job of both challenges, wonderful sentiment and that flower is fantastic!!!

Dawn B. said...

I am loving that fluffy flower and this color combo is amazing. Such a great card Marisa. I really like this one.

Kristina said...

You've been busy! I have three cards to catch up on! But that's three cards to stare at, soak in, and be in awe of. They're gorgeous!

I love how your puffy flower recycled some of that gorgeous tissue paper from Julee! I've held onto some of mine, but just haven't though of how to use it yet... You may have inspired me.

Beautiful job with BOTH challenges!

TannyP said...

Another amazing creation. You've really rocked the color challenge. That swirl really does make a perfect stem for your beautiful flower. Lovely!

Julie said...

This is gorgeous, Marisa! I love the puffy flower! The colors together are striking! :)

Silke Ledlow said...

Where in the world have I been - LOL!?! How could I have missed all your gorgeous new cards?!?

Love your take on the Sketch - Marisa!!! All the white with the splash of black and turquoise looks so striking!!! The embossing is fabo too!!! Hugs ~S~

Renee said...

This is gorgeous!! Fabulous challenge card!